Colorado Firecamp - wildfire training wildland firefighter training schedule Wildland Firefighter Jobs Wildfire Blog Location and Facility About Colorado Firecamp Frequently Asked Questions

Colorado Firecamp - wildland firefighter training

Frequently Asked Questions...

...about the red card.

...course prerequisites and what class to take.

...what to bring to class. to Firecamp.

...accomodations at Firecamp.

...veterans education benefits.

...getting a job as a wildland firefighter.

...wildland firefighter boots.

Frequently Asked Questions

“Does Colorado Firecamp accept the Post 9/11 GI Bill®?”

Yes. Colorado Firecamp programs are approved by the Colorado State Approving Agency for Veterans Education and Training.

Any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits will be allowed to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual  provides to Colorado Firecamp a certificate of eligibility (COE) for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  1. The date on which payment from VA is made to Colorado Firecamp.
  2. 90 days after the date Colorado Firecamp certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the COE.

Colorado Firecamp will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes or facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

"How do I apply my VA Education Award?"

1. If you have not done so already you will need to Apply for Benefits through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Your space in the course will be held while you wait for the process to go through. If it is not completed by the time of your course at Firecamp we can apply the benefit retroactively.

2. Submit an application to Colorado Firecamp for the course(s) you wish to enroll in. Include a written request to use your VA Education Award for tuition. After your written request is received one of our School Certifying Officials (SCO) will assist you in the process.

3. You will need to submit the following documents to the SCO:

  • Certifiacte of Eligibility (COE)
  • All tanscripts for any postsecondary education and training, including while in the service. These will be evaluated for prior credit.

Once your SCO has received all the needed documents they will submit your information to the VA for processing.

“What is the payment process?”

Colorado Firecamp includes tuition, facility fees, meals, and lodging on location in the overall price provided for each course. The nature of this breaks up the invoicing between the student and the VA. Students will receive a copy of their invoice ahead of time, with the following portions outlined as line items.

VA - The VA will cover the cost of tuition and facility fee directly to Colorado Firecamp. The percentage of tuition covered will be determined on the student's COE. If the student is eligible for 100% coverage then the VA will pay 100% of the cost of tuition. If the student is eligible for 60% of coverage, the VA will cover the 60% of the tuition and the student will owe the remaining 40% to Colorado Firecamp.

Student - The student will pay for all lodging and meals for each course up-front to Colorado Firecamp. After course completion the VA will mail a reimbursement check to the student address provided. The amount of this will depend on the VA's region specific forumlua. Lodging fees include any additional nights of lodging before or after the course dates.




© 2005-2021 Colorado Firecamp, Inc. home schedule • blogENGBfacilityabout usFAQ's